Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Day!!



So this is my 5th Winter at Ft Bragg.  Occassionally you'll have a teeny-tiny ammount of snow that will stick on the grass for a few hours, and then you sit back and laugh at the people freaking out.  Alternatively school will be cancelled because of the DEVASTATING SNOW EVENT....duh duh daaaahhh....and nothing will happen.

Well today I was wrong and there's actually a decent ammount of snow (Not comparable to Ft Drum). It's been snowing since early this morning and we've had about 3 inches of snow so far. School is closed, Ft Bragg is closed so Jeremy is off, and even Olive Garden is closed in Florence, SC so my sister-in-law is off work!!  And I didn't have to get up at the buttcrack of dawn...just wished someone could have told the kids internal clocks! This would never happen up north, but considering we're supposed to get a nice layer of ice, plus melted snow refreezing over night it could be quite bad.  I've heard about a lot of cars going off the roads, and for once I won't blame the stupidity of the average driver here. The hill I'm refering to is on Honeycutt Rd where there is actually a pretty steep hill which I can garuntee wasn't treated.  I would slide down there too.

It's nice having my husband home for the day.  We've already played outside for a while - Mia lived in snow but would freak out if we tried to make her play in it previously.  She was a little unsure, and like her Mamma she gets cold easily, but eventually she discovered the pleasure in pounding her brother in snow and had a lot of fun.  Even Charlie is in dog heaven - he loves the snow.  He loves jumping up to catch snow in his mouth....even imaginary snow when he's under the screened-in porch.  Dumb dog!!  The only thing that would make my day more perfect would be if my fireplace actually worked (no propane + tv above fireplace = no fires), and if my kids would stop fighting......hahahaha!!!

 Jeremy stuck a giant lump of snow on Mia's head which really didn't impress her....



My AMAZING Slow Cooker Turkey Kielbasa Soup


So this year I am all about eating healthy and finding enjoyment from cooking.  This is one of Jeremy's favorite things that I make.

Basically you throw Turkey Kielbasa, Carrots, Celery, Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed Kidney Beans, Italian Seasoning, 3 cups broth (I used beef broth - low sodium is recommended), 1/2 C Red Wine, diced tomatoes, chopped onion and kale and let it sit in the slow cooker all day.  It's amazing and the red wine just makes it even better!!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you guys had a great day! And I really want to try that recipe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete