Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 4: Facebook

Today's challenge is "A picture of a habit you wish you didn't have".

Well, I quit smoking over the summer so that's no longer a habit!!  (Happy dance - I am soooo happy thats out of my life now!!)

I do have a lot of bad habits though - mostly playing with my hair, and the need to be doing something with my hands at all time.  I'm like a hamster on a wheel, but chose to learn to cope with it instead of using anxiety meds.

But this by far is my worst habit:



Facebook.  The source of much evil.  The stem of waaaay too much drama.  I hate that its a new way of keeping in contact with people, but so convenient at the same time. I have caught up with old friends from Sweden, keep in contact with my family in New Zealand and Australia, around the world.  That part is great.  And it's nice to be able to share things with people and have people instantly celebrate or boost me up when I need it. But really, it would be much better to have face to face contact to work things through.

I've had my fair share of drama with Facebook - someone taking something way out of context and making me out to be the bad guy.  Or the wrong person seeing something, and apparently the Army doesn't like it.  Stupid - I didn't violate OPSEC so they can just keep out of my business.  But I have learnt from this, and I try to remain vague or positive now.

But on forums that I belong to, I just see it ruining relationships.  People "friending" people who should just stay the heck out of their lives.  You know how many ex's I have on my Facebook?  1 - and he's gay and living in Australia.  And I'm perfectly happy telling Jeremy exactly who people are.  I do know who most people are and have met them, or we have mutual friends but haven't had the opportunity to meet yet. And I have gone through and deleted people who annoy me, or I've been deleted myself and I really don't care. Maybe that's just one of my strong points, where it could seriously upset others.

But for the most part I really enjoy Facebook.  I love seeing what my friends are up to, looking at their pictures and knowing how their kids are doing and growing up.  It's funny seeing what old High School people are up to, and keeping up with things back in New Zealand.  Like when the mine disaster was happening, or the earthquake in Christchurch I could quickly see if all my friends and family were safe.  And they could contact me to see if everything is OK.  In fact, I'm using Facebook right now to make sure friends and family are safe and sound in Australia during the flooding.  However, I really wish I hadn't found out about the death of my cousin on Facebook.  That was a tough one to swallow.

And then there's the games.  I'm down to two - Cityville and Bejeweled Blitz.  Lame but they fill up the mindless hours you come across as a SAHM.  There's only a certain ammount of cleaning you can do during the day before you lose your mind, and I hate daytime TV.

Oh, and the absolute worst part about Facebook - the darn notifications!!  So, it's bad enough when you're constantly getting them while you're on the computer, but I get them on my phone - under messages AND the Facebook App.  I need to delete both on my phone, plus the one on the computer.....and then I have a Facebook App on my IPOD Touch....gotta delete those too.  Oh my - it drives me insane!!

You could just state the obvious - just delete the apps!!  But then it wouldn't be an addiction would it??


No comments:

Post a Comment