Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 5: My Drummies

Today is "A Picture of your favorite Memory".


This is Lisa, Jamie, Kat and I and the random German Guy statue that we molested on several occassions after wine tasting at the Thousands Islands Winery!

Well, I'm one of those lucky people who have always traveled a lot on family vacations.  I've lived in four different countries.  I still keep in contact with various people I have met around the world. I still keep in contact with my bestie from High School. So I have a lot of great memories.  A lot of bad memories too, hence the low self esteem, but I wouldn't change them.  Life isn't all peaches.

But I'm going to rewind 2 years. I was at Ft Drum which people had warned me was "such a horrible place...there's nothing to do there and the winters are awful!!" Well, they're not too far off, but it wasn't horrible at all.  You see, in order to not lose your mind, the trick is to have some friends who are content doing the simple things in life - going to the Farmer's Market, making random trips to Niagara Falls, Sword Fighting on the Wii, playing Apples to Apples and The Game of Things.....

These girls are my Drummies!!  Krista, Lisa, Kat and Jamie.  Just thinking of them makes me smile.  I've met a lot of people since I've been in America, but I think it's the first time since I lived at Havill Street in Palmy, that I feel like I've completely belonged. I could count on these girls for anything!  Krista has moved to Colorado now, Lisa is in Florida, Kat and Jamie are still up at Drum right now, and of course I moved to Ft Bragg....but I still count on them.  If I'm down, all they need to do is post a picture of me kissing the pig....don't ask - but it helped me become the North Country Grape Stomping Champ!  Or remind me of the Charlie the Unicorn Fanny Pack that we really need to get for Ivana Hump...bwahahahaha!! OK - so they might only be funny to us.  But the point is, how precious are memories if you can't share them with the ones you love......



BTW - tonight I'm very scared about.  It's the Pre-Deployment Brief for my husbands Battalion. It's where I have to stand up infront  of everyone and introduce myself as the HHD FRG Leader (That's Headquarter Company - Family Readiness Group Leader).  Basically I'm the person you contact if you have questions, a problem, if you want to bust myths about when you're soldier is coming home, keeping Nana updated....and arrange meetings, fundraisers, welcome unit babies,....basically everything you can think of to keep people in the loop.  This automatically means that I'm a stuck up bitch to some people, but I'm hoping that I can be a leader that gets things done rather than having any drama....

1 comment:

  1. Aww I got teary reading that. I miss you girls so much. I never thought I would find friends like we did. I miss it! I can't wait to have a reunion.

    I know you will do great tonight. I cannot wait for you to tell me all about it! If you were my frg leader I would be overjoyed!

    ReplyDelete