Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 3: A Picture from the Cast of you Favorite Show

Now this one is a tricky one. Most of the shows I watched, I got bored with and stopped watching.  There are shows I love that make me laugh, but if I miss an episode I'm not upset.  Like 'How I Met Your Mother' and 'Big Bang Theory', 'Modern Family' and 'Parenthood'.  But you know what, I can't even tell you what day of the week they are on TV.  Whether this is because of the convenience of having two DVR's (I rarely use the one in my bedroom) or just that I don't really care, I don't know.

I'm also a sucker for E! - I have to admit I follow the Kardashians, Kendra, the Rock Star Wives, and Entertainment News.  Chelsea Lately and Fashion Police crack me up!! Joan Rivers may look like she's been mummified in Glad Wrap, but she's funny!!

And I'm a sucker for History Channel and Discovery Channel shows - like 'American Pickers', 'Pawn Stars', and 'Myth Busters'.  I love History and these shows never cease to amaze me what people have or find, and how much they are even worth. It makes me sad that everything these days are so mass produced so I wonder if anything we have will be worthy of interest in years to come. I just know that things from America's past will be valued and restored by people who really care and see value in junk.

But anyhow, this is what really is getting me pumped recently.  "Brad Meltzers: Decoded."



Now, usually I don't take much interest in conspiracy theories. Most of the time people are just going on heresay, and don't bother to dig deep and actually research. It happens all the time, not just with conspiracy theories - take the Muslim Center which is being built blocks away from Ground Zero.  You would have thought that it was actually being built on the site with a bunch or Muslims sticking their heads out the window blowing raspberries!!

But this guy is different.  He has a cast of three historians, one who was also an attorney.  They take these myths and theories and actually go out and research them. They look at things from all angles.  They look at documents and records and check for authenticity.  They look at pictures, they talk to the people involved. They are honest when they can't say 100% that something is true or false, or that they need more evidence.  They will not just say "I believe this just because."  It's all fact based. Do they always solve the case - no, but they give you something to think about and you learn a lot along the way.

This would be one of my dream jobs really. I remember one case study they had where they were looking for the lost money from a train load of cash that was lost during the Civil War on route south.  It was lost somewhere between Southern Virginia and Georgia.  There was this one man who was trying to decode the work of the Knights of the Golden Circle (KGC) which is a secret squirrel organization.  I believe that there are still members of theis society to this day. There were all these markings, a template to help decode them, and these were nationwide!! And this guy has actually found hidden treasure! Its so complex that I have no hope or understanding it, but next time you're at an old cemetary, just look around for carvings in trees and misspelled words on headstones. 

Maybe I should get a job working in archives or something.....

The next episode is all about the end of the world in 2012.  Something I haven't taken seriously, but I'm going to be very excited to sit down in bed, laugh at the crazies, and hopefully not be convinced that they are infact, right. Just something to ponder, right?

Anyway, just so I don't have to write another entry for today, Mikey has another snow day, and Fort Bragg was closed so Jeremy was off again.  Now, there was sleet and freezing rain last night, so this morning my yard was like a skating rink, and the roads were rediculous too.  I was scared to drive, which is saying a lot since Ft Drum didn't bother me.  The path to the store - we made a trip to Lowes and Walmart were pretty bad, with lines of thick, solid ice.  Mikey is off again tomorrow, and Ft Bragg should make an announcement soon.  We'll see!




No comments:

Post a Comment