Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 7: Ears

Day 7 is "A picture of your most treasured item"

Can I just say how difficult this one is to single it down to one single thing. I mean, I can look around my lounge right now and I can see a thousand things that I treasure.  The two most important ones are watching cartoons right now. But I can't really consider my kids "items".  They are two miracles that Jeremy and I created, and of course I treasure them.  But they morph everyday into something else very special, so watching them grow is what is special.

So what about the other items around my house?  I'd be devastated if it burnt down - all my pictures would be gone.  Everything else I can replace. I'm hoping that between facebook, photobucket and Dad that I would eventually be able to replace all the pictures too. So if everything apart from human life can be replaced to a certain extent, why do we need to treasure anything?

So I've come to this conclusion.  It's my ears.


This may sound rediculous to some people. But to me, my hearing is everything. I never have liked silence. My host brother, Gustav used to laugh at me because I could sleep with headphones on. Growing up I new the one thing I could do was music. It was as natural to me as peeing.  While I was never going to be a virtuoso drawing millions, or even have my own recording or make it a career, it was something as vital to me as my heart pumping.

Music is a universal language - it doesn't matter if you understand the words or not, it can take you to different places, different memories.  It can calm you down, comfort you or lift you up. While I don't understand Italian, one of my favorite songs is 'Vivo Per Lei' by Andrea Boccelli.  If you read the translation, it just sounds like he's singing about someone, but it's more about the music within him.  Lauren - if you read this I fully expect you to comment help me out here!! You know what I'm talking about - we had this conversation when we were 18 and getting drunk on vodka and raspberry soda!

Anyway, ears. If I was blind, I would be sad.  But I have memories, I am pretty well traveled, so give me a really great description and I'm fully capable of picturing in my mind. But don't silence me.  Don't take away my kids laughs, the "I love you Mamma"'s, the music that can get me through a day.  Its the things I hear that I treasure, that I can't imagine my life without.

No comments:

Post a Comment