Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Morning Shake

So I decided I would try a morning shake.  It makes sense really, to have as much fruit and veggies as possible and having tried one before, I know that green smoothies aren't too bad.  

But here's the thing.  I'm not going to spend $500 on a blender.  I have a cheap blender from Walmart but it sucks and doesn't chop ice.  And I just got my husband a food processor for his birthday last month. (He never used the old one so I sold it, and then the one time a year he uses it, he got mad at me for selling it.) But I read the instructions and it says, "Don't chop ice".  What the heck?  I feel like the world is ganging up on me to buy more kitchen equipment just for a damn smoothie!!  Maybe if I can do these smoothies long enough I'll consider upgrading.

So yesterday when I searched out my ingredients I was kind of amused and annoyed.  It seems like a lot of people are doing the green smoothie thing for their New Years Resolutions so it was hard to even find spinach.  (OK, so I'm one of those people I'm annoyed at).  I also couldn't find fresh strawberries and peaches, although I know the Commissary stocked them the day before! So I figured frozen would do.

This morning I whipped out the frozen strawberries and peaches and let them thaw a little since my food processor doesn't like frozen things.  When they were a lot less solid I added a handful of spinach, a banana, a tablespoon of greek yogurt, a little honey, and a splash of almond milk and blended it all together.  It wasn't too bad - a little thick since I omitted the ice so I can add more milk next time.  But the favor wasn't bad at all, and it's very filling.  I forgot the blueberries which will make it even more delicious and an even more funky color.  And I'm pretty sure the texture and color would be different if I had a blender instead, but for now it will do.

I can't take credit for it, so here's the link: http://www.singforyoursupperblog.com/2011/07/19/green-er-brown-ish-monster-smoothies/ 


Maybe I'll stick with it.  It really is a logical way of getting more fruits and veggies.

I've been doing more crunches too - it really helped my back when I was doing it during my streak last year.  I had no back pain until Christmas when I was forced to sit on crappy chairs and lay on a crappy mattress. That's enough to kill anyone's back. The pains still there, but not that intense, crippling pain that I'm usually stuck with.  I'm thinking about going for a run this afternoon too, but it's damn cold and I'm a wuss. Maybe cycling.  Something while I'm motivated.  And this 60 Day Plan just isn't cutting it right now.  I mean, Day 1 was 20 jumping jacks and 10 crunches, and today was 30 jumping jacks and 15 crunches.  Maybe that's a good thing because maybe some people would find that challenging.  I'll stick with it though since the last day of the challenge is brutal.
Oh, so I'm back to being worried about Mikey.  He got off the bus yesterday holding the side of his head by his ear.  I eventually got it out of him that this first grader was being mean to him on the bus and punched him on the side of the head.  He asked Mikey to punch him too, but Mikey refused. (Yay Mikey!), but of course Mikey didn't say anything to the bus driver.  It could just be boys being boys, and I didn't want to make a big stink over it.  I wrote a note to his teacher to make them aware of the situation and to monitor it, and if something else happens then I will make a big stink. It's horrible that he was being bullied, but I'm proud that he didn't fight back.  Worried that he didn't say anything though, and it makes me wonder if there are other things going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment