Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 24: If only I could change this.



A few days ago I was putzing around on Facebook and saw a mysterious status update from a Kiwi friend...followed by more statuses of friends saying they were OK.  OK about what?

A quick google search later my heart sunk as I realised what was happening.  Yet another earthquake struck Christchurch, New Zealand, and this time it was really bad.

Really bad.

I've felt my fair share of earthquakes, but I have never seen this kind of destruction or been as scared as I was with this one.  My heart broke as I watched the news seeing familiar buildings crumbled, and my usually unemotional Kiwi's breaking down in terror and sadness. Hundreds have died, and many are missing.  All my family are in the North Island and are fine, but I do have friends that live there and are without power or water, and are left to clean up a big mess.  But they are safe which is most important to me.

But I'm sitting here safe, unable to do anything.

I am very grateful for Facebook for once because it does provide instant information and updates.  And I'm overwhelmed by people all over the world and here at Ft Bragg who have contacted me to make sure my friends and family are OK.  It really does help. And I know that there are so many prayers and well wishes for New Zealanders and those affected right now.

I wish I could be at home to donate food and clothes, to offer a room or a safe place to stay, or to donate blood.  But I can't.

Just make sure you tell people how much they matter to you, because you never know what will happen in a minute from now. Life and Love is the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment