Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 22: Miss Suzy Homemaker


So today my picture is of something I wish I was better at.  And no, I do not want to be Miss Suzy Homemaker, but that's what I googled to get this picture!  I mean more of a modern times Miss Melania Magnificent!

You see, I am jealous of those people who always seem put together.  I don't feel the need to have designer clothes, but you know people like I'm describing.  They find great deals, always dress appropriately, always look wonderful - hair, clothes, make up....but have many other talents too.  Take for example my sister-in-law Jenn.  She's works damn hard, but always looks nice.  She can dress up and not look overdressed or try hard, she looks made up without looking like she's going to a bar, her hair is always nice, and she's one of the kindest, wittiest people you'll ever meet. She's super crafty and can see beauty in so many things.  Take an ugly, beat up dresser, and she can make into something I would drool over. She's smart, well read, and excellent at pop culture, travels a lot, and the best friend or aunt anyone could ask for.

Now, I know I have many talents that I don't give myself credit for.  I can cook, but I'm not confident to cook for others (with the exception of my Pavlova!).  I can sing in tune.  I can color great with crayons - I tell people that and they laugh at me, but I'm really good! 

I would also like to be wittier, and have a larger vocabulary. I would love to be well-read, and be one of those people who are decisive and not notoriously vague like me.  I would love to be the girl who can open her pantry and whip up something delicious with the bare minimum ingredients. I would love to be a bit more like the "typical officers wife", but part of me is glad that I'm not.

Maybe there is someone who thinks of me in the same way that I think of so many other people?  Smart, laid back yet classy, talented, a great Mom, a good cook. I know most of us don't see ourselves the way others see us, and if they do it's often a negative quality. Maybe it's something for me to work on?  Like just accepting one compliment at a time. And maybe I should be more complimentary?

Or maybe just one way I can achieve Miss Magnificent status is looking back on my attempts throughout life when I'm 80 and about to kick the bucket and see the fun I had trying to get there.....

No comments:

Post a Comment