Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day 20: Vancouver Island


Day 20 is a picture of a place that I would love to travel.  Well, if you know me, that's pretty much anywhere in the world. But for the 30 day challenges sake, I'll choose Nanaimo in Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.

That's where my grandfather was born.  He moved with his family to New Zealand when he was 8 years old, and he always had the softest Canadian accent.  Maybe growing up listening to him talk was how I'm picked up this mess of an accent that I have now.

I don't remember him talking about Canada at all - I was only 9 when he died, but I do remember Mum telling me about his mother who never quite got over leaving Canada.  I guess her husband (my Great Grandfather) was a miner and met her in Canada and moved the family to New Zealand for work.  I know what it's like to leave everything you know and live in a new land. Heck, there will always be parts of me that longs for New Zealand.

But just look how beautiful this picture is.  Can you imagine me just sitting at the top of one of those mountains looking down at the water, just watching the ferries go by?  I've been to Canada briefly, but not out to British Columbia.  That's partially why I would love to be stationed at Ft Lewis just so that I could have the opportunity to vacation there.


No comments:

Post a Comment