Saturday, October 8, 2011

So remember a few weeks ago....

I posted about hating couponers at the grocery store.  Well, not that I have the time and energy to go extreme, but I have made a coupon folder in the past few weeks, and today Jeremy and I are going to........A Couponing Class!!!  

So, the story with the couponing folder is that it's actually a lot easier than one of those coupon wallet things - you can lay it all out in front of you and see them all, without having to stop and sort through them all.  Time saver.  

And the couponing class is free and we get an hour or so away from the kids.  And everyone wants to save some money.  I still maintain that I will never be extreme since I have no need to buy 50 of some items, I don't want a massive stockpile, and we don't eat a whole lot of junk food.  But if we can save money on cleaning supplies and canned goods, dairy products etc then it may be worth it.  And if it doesn't help, then it didn't cost us anything.

Anyway, yesterday Jeremy and I did something very scary and grown up.  We picked out a granite slab that will eventually be our kitchen countertop. Now, I don't know how many of you have actually gone and looked at granite, but it's very overwhelming and well....if you make a mistake it's an extremely expensive mistake.  There are grades varying from grade 1 to exotic.  Level 1 is very common, and the patterns and colors get more intricate and complex due to the patterns and rarity.  Apparently I have an eye for the exotic ones.  Then you have to take into account your floor color, backsplash color, your wall color, your cabinet color, and the color the person who buys the house next may like.  Then there are the patterns that looks like patterned tortishell cats, or look like a paintbrush have been flicked at it; larger uniform patterns; patterns with movement......AAAAAAaaaaaarrrrggghhh!! Talk about stressful! 

So we ended up picking out a level 5 granite which was about $700 more than a level 1, but nothing really did it for me.  And when it comes down to it, what's $700 more when we are paying out the ass for a new kitchen anyhow.  I may as well love what I get.  Right? So we got one which has a pale green, beige and brown which is relatively light which has both pattern and movement in it.  It really is beautiful, and I hope that it looks right in our kitchen.  I hope, I hope, I hope.  The check is written to finish the cabinets which is by far the largest check we have ever written.  I don't want to think about it.  It makes me ill.  Just hopefully in a few years when we sell the house and PCS again that it will increase our property value, and help the house to sell quickly.  And at least we have a few years to really enjoy it.  Let's face it, I hate it for people when they make all these improvements on their houses just to sell it, when they could have enjoyed the fruits of their labor years ago.

So now you all know why we need to go to this couponing class.  We'll need it to avoid ramen noodle dinners for the next few months.  OK, so that statement is a little on the dramatic side but you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment