Monday, October 10, 2011

My AFS Year

During my last year of high school I left to go to Sweden for a year. It really was the best year of my life and changed me a lot. Before I left, I was the quiet music geek who was over-protected.  If it wasn't related to music or theater, you wouldn't find me there after school.  But in August 1997 I left for Sweden.

My first impression was me wondering why there were Swedish flags everywhere.  I found out later that it was because it was a national holiday. And flying over Sweden you will see some of the most breathtaking scenery.  

My first family didn't really work out well.  I lived in this 4 story building in the middle of nowhere that was being restored. It was an old orphanage and heavens only knows what else it was in the past.  Very creepy to say the least.  And they owned horses which were pretty cool actually. It just wasn't working out for me, but I did wind up with the best host family known to man once I moved into Karlstad.

To this day I still miss Pappa sitting down and explaining things to me.  Both in Swedish and in English.  I appreciate so much how he would tell me how it is, and then take the time to explain why things are the way they are. He really opened my eyes to some issues, both political and cultural which have really shaped the way I view things.  (And is the reason why my kids are going to be out of the house when they finish High School).

Mamma was the best cook ever! I can't wait until I can take my family there and we can all cook and eat together - I know her and Jeremy would have a blast together.  And secretly I hope he learns how to make the Cod dish with carrots and leeks because it was delicious and I miss it. And she always managed to make holidays so special with all the traditions, songs, meals, stories. 

And then there were my siblings.  My little brother towered over me last time I saw him which freaked me out, and Martin has 3 adorable kids now too.  And Helena really is just like my sister....we even bickered over how to cut carrots when she was visiting in New Zealand.  Fun times. I can just imagine all our kids getting together now.

I don't what has got me thinking of Sweden today.  I'm getting updates from AFS about all these people who are having the time of their lives now, and how decades later they still value their experiences. There are so many things I screwed up when I was there that I wish I could change.  But I can't dwell on it.  Thanks to Facebook I still have contact people I met over there, and Maggie and I are still close. And yes, I never really did reintergrate back into New Zealand - I had a wicked case of reverse culture shock.  I've only lived at "home" for 4 years since leaving Sweden in June 1998. This probably contributes to my feelings of not fitting in back home anymore.

I'm still the shy kid, but at least I'm the well traveled geek.  I've had so many experiences in that one year of my life which has helped me survive 3 deployments in America, and given me a lot of strength and insight. And maybe it's time to return "home" soon.  And to start brushing up on my Swedish.....

No comments:

Post a Comment