Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I haven't had much to say...

Sometimes I have so much to say. Other times I don't.  So I've been pretty quiet recently.

Anyway, I got thinking yesterday about how much of a hermit I've become.  I've been keeping busy, but yet keeping to myself.  Last week I was overwhelmed with Mikey going back to school and the Change of Command events.  I was constantly surrounded by people...but mostly just seen and not heard.  I'm OK with that.

We've been doing a lot of home improvement since Jeremy got home.  We've replace our fire place mantle to one which has a bigger shelf to fit the DVR player and DVD player on.  We've had curbing done in the front yard and put mulch down so the front yard is looking much prettier.  We've got a new sofa, and dining table, and in the next week or so we should have part one of our new kitchen cabinets installed.

Mikey had a rough first week in school.  The second day I was waiting at the bus stop for him after school and he wasn't on the bus.  He decided that he wanted to be a car rider that day and told his teacher that.  So he was safe at school, but gave me one heck of a fright.  Then a few days later I got a phone call from his teacher just before school let out saying that he was in the bathroom at school just crying.  Jeremy went down to get him and it turned out that he needed to pee and poop at the same time, and accidently pooped on the floor as he was peeing. What do I say about that?  That I was horrified?  That I'm the parent of "that" kid? That I'm so worried about Mikey that it scares me to death?  He didn't say anything about getting teased at school about it. And I remember being the Teacher Assistant of the 3rd grader who did the same thing a few years ago and while I remember it, I didn't think any differently of the child - I just protected him after.

I just don't feel like I am doing enough for him.  I make sure he does his homework.  It's spelling, math and 20 minutes of reading every night, plus I'm supposed to do 50 minutes of vision therapy with him 5 times a week.  We've been so busy that I haven't managed to squeeze that in.   That's a lot of homework every night.  I want to ask the teacher if his vision therapy (which is mostly reading and comprehension questions) can count as his 20 minutes of reading. He's also started Cub Scouts which he is super excited about.

Mia started Pre-K yesterday.  She was so excited and has been asking to go to school for weeks.  It's on post from 1:30 - 4:30 every day.  So I drop her off, go home for a few minutes, pick up Mikey and then hopefully Jeremy can pick her up most nights...otherwise I'll have to head there after getting Mikey. She loved her first day, despite peeing in her pants (I sense a theme here...). She's 3, in a new place and was probably engrossed in what she was doing. It's funny how different Mikey and Mia are at the same age.  He barely talked and was barely potty trained at the same age, but he knew his alphabet.  She craves socializing and loves to learn new things, and I would be failing her if I didn't put her in Pre-K now.  Mikey at the same age just needed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment